I never really understood the “pumpkin spice” craze. That is, until I tried a Starbucks pumpkin spice latte for the first time last week. Inspired to create my own concoction, I invited Elizabeth and Susan over to a girls’ night (and to be my guinea pigs).
It was a bit too late for us to have a lot of caffeine, so I found a delicious recipe for a pumpkin spice hot chocolate on Cookies & Cups. And of course, to *spice* things up even further (pun completely intended), we spiked it with some Irish Cream.
Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup hot cocoa mix (no marshmallows)
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- whipped cream or marshmallows (optional)
- In a medium sauce pan over medium low heat whisk together your milk and hot cocoa mix.
- Add your canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice.
- Heat until desired temperature is reached.
- Pour into glasses and top with whipped cream and/or marshmallows and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.
I highly recommend this recipe for a cold autumn day! Now, for some CasuallyInspired modifications: Add 1.5 – 2 shots of Irish Cream per mug (of course this can be tailored to your taste) and keep a spoon handy for stirring purposes. We kept getting distracted while drinking, and some of the spice would sink to the bottom, so either drink it faster than we did, or stir your drink occasionally to retain the pumpkin spice flavor.